Monday, January 16, 2012

New plants and new flowers

My patience was rewarded recently with the flowering of my Ascocenda hybrid (Varut fucshia X Dr. Anek). I have been waiting forever for this hybrid to flower and I finally got it right. The flowers are a beautiful dark purple with some small dark spots. The flowers are about the same size as an average Phalaenopsis flower. This hybrid has no scent. I have crossed it with Phalaenopsis Carolina bronze meteor and P. aphrodite to see if anything happens. I have also crossed it with Ascocentrum ampullaceum, one of the new plants which arrived last week from Joburg. Apart from the A. ampullaceum, I received a pink form of Rhynchostylis coelestis (I was hoping for the blue!) and a lovely Dendrobium albosanguineum. All plants are flowering size and the Rhynchostylis is just starting to flower now as well.

Ascocenda Varut Fucshia X Dr. Anek

Close up flower


Phalaenopsis Carolina bronze meteor


Ascocentrum ampullaceum


A. ampullaceum flowers


Rhynchostylis coelestis (pink)

R. coelestis flowers
Dendrobium albosanguineum
 


No comments:

Post a Comment