Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Some current blooms

I brought the majority of my collection back to Hermanus with me this past weekend and set up the smaller of my greenhouses to accomodate the plants. Some of the plants that are currently in flower include Phalaenopis mannii, a species ranging from the Indian Himalayas to Vietnam. It is a hot grower and this is the first time it has flowered although these flowers are not in the best shape. The other flowering species include my prolific Ascocenda ampullaceum and Cyrtorchis arcuata (first time flowering). The latter gives off the same scent at night as the flowers of Mystacidium capense to attract hawkmoths. The smell alone is worth keeping these wonderful orchids in your collection. The scent rates as one of the most pleasant I have ever encountered and is distinct and beautiful. The scent is only given off at night. 
 
Phalaenopsis mannii

Ascocenda ampullaceum

Cyrtorchis arcuata

No comments:

Post a Comment