Saturday, May 31, 2014

Phalaenopsis schilleriana

Phalaenopsis schilleriana
Phalaenopsis schilleriana is one of the original pink Phalaenopsis from which so many hybrids have been produced. I think it has much charm. It is quite a large plant and grows well either mounted or in a pot. The leaves are large and have an interesting marble patterning of grey over the green. The underside of the leaves is slightly purple, much like those of P. sanderiana, the other original pink species. P. schilleriana though has a different lip shape and the colour of the flowers is a more intense pink than those of P. sanderiana.
 
I am hoping that my plant will be a good breeder. I have successfully mounted a large number of my own seedlings of P. sanderiana on a horizontal branch mount and I am hoping to do the same with this species.

No comments:

Post a Comment