Friday, September 13, 2019

Dendrobium anosmum first flowering

I have been waiting for my Dendrobium anosmum to flower since it pushed out tiny buds back in July. I have been patiently waiting while watching the buds develop to full size. I have two of these; the other is about a month behind the first one. The flowers are fragrant, not overpowering, but pleasantly fragrant of raspberries or a similar fruit. I have been wanting to flower one of these for about 8 years now. I initially began growing my own from seed back in 2011 and 2012, but never got the opportunity to raise my seedlings to flowering size before leaving South Africa. This species seems to do quite well here in Townsville (dry tropics), as do many of the Dendrobium species. My larger plant has canes of about 70-80 cm long, and is currently also pushing out new growth.

Buds just starting to emerge in July

Buds the day before opening (12 September)
Fully opened bloom, about 10 cm across

Another perspective
The next morning

No comments:

Post a Comment